20050322

Something worth "Dying" for....


Yesterday a couple hundred anti-war protesters were arrested during a direct action "Die-In" demonstration here in New York City. We staged the protest in front of Rockefeller Center to call attention to the "sanitized" war footage we're seeing on T.V. as well as directly confronting the Media on their lies and war propaganda. Hundreds of us dressed in bandages and fake blood and disobeyed the Law by laying across 5th ave and blocking Thursday morning rush hour traffic. Many felt that our voices were not being heard on the evening news and that perhaps civil disobedience and hundreds of arrests might call attention to the situation. What better place to make news than right in front of their headquaters?? The hardest part for me was seeing the photos of the dead and wounded Iraq children many protestors were wearing as placards around their necks. There was one photo of a beautiful Iraq child with her eyes closed. She looked like she was sleeping peacefully until you noticed the back of her head was blown away and a trail of blood and her brains were spewed behind her. I guess I too had been sanitized by this war.
I hadn't planned on being arrested but I was arrested anyways. The police calmly arrested 300 people and quickly cleared the street. I spent the next 16 hours in the Tombs (4 hours with plastic handcuffs on) with some of the most dedicated and beautiful kids I've met since Rainbow. There were many older activist there as well - many who were all too familar with the booking process at the Tombs having experiencing arrests dating back to Vietnam. I was proud to be with these activists. Proud to know that the little effort we did yesterday may open at least one person's heart to the horrors of war.
At 4 this morning I staggered out of the Tombs to the dark and deserted streets of Lower Manhattan. Greeting me with hot coffee and donuts was our jail support group, a great group of activists who had stayed up all night in front of the Tombs awaiting our release with cheer. I was given a button to wear that made the whole uncomfortable 16 hour ordeal worthwhile. It said simply, "
I Was Arrested For Peace"
Today I am worn out from spending all night on the "group W" bench at the Tombs. My mind is weary as well. But I can't sleep. I'm thinking of that beautiful "sleeping" Iraqi child.... and I'm thinking of the all kids I met in jail who care....
Pray for Peace!

1 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

I find it harder and harder to trust the media. Reading 1984 in grade 12 had life changing effect on me, I never really thought a book could have that much effect on my life but as I turned the pages and examined the similarities between the world Orwell had greated in 1948 and the world we are living in now it is hard not to think that maybe the guy was on to something. I find it so sad that we can sit and watch the images that we do on the news, we have really become "sanitized" as you describe it to the horrors of war I often think its because many of us (myself included) have never really lived through times of war as they were durning WW 1 and WW 2, so much is done now to reduce human involvement in wars...its mind boggling really...there is a song called "the news" by jack johnson that i really think sums it up...anyways keep up the fight! STICK IT TO THE MAN!!
Megan

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home